Saturday, May 5, 2012

Cinco de Miles/RIP MCA

Today is Cinco de Mayo of course, so of course my course was cinco de miles, because that's the kind of goofy person I am.  I ran up University to Donahue, and up College to that road just before Samford and back down Gay St.  I had a good pace going for the first three miles (under 8 minutes), but slowed down quite a bit on the last two, and felt it. The Map My Run app now has a nice lady who reports my mileage and pace at each mile, which I'm not quite sure if I like or not, but it's a new thing so let's see how it affects my performance.

On a more solemn note, Adam Yauch aka MCA passed away yesterday from cancer. In his memory, I put together an all Beastie Boys playlist.  I grew up with the Beastie Boys.  I remember buying "Licensed to Ill" on vinyl when it first came out, when I was a freshman or sophomore in high school.  I remember the video for "Fight For Your Right to Party" playing on MTV, and while I wasn't a big partier in high school, the F-you attitude hit me right in the teen angst and resonated.  I remember a good friend in college making me listen to Paul's Boutique, and blowing my mind.  The return to playing of instruments, MCA's conversion to Buddhism, and now... gone.  Rest in peace, MCA.


Playlist  all Beastie Boys
Rhymin' and Stealin'  from "Licensed to Ill"
Sabotage from "Ill Communication"
Shadrach from "Paul's Boutique"
Hey Ladies from "Paul's Boutique"
Jimmy James from "Check Your Head"
So What'cha Want from "Check Your Head"
The Negotiation Limerick File from "Hello Nasty"
Gratitude from "Check Your Head"
Root Down from "Ill Communication"
Slow Ride from "Licensed to Ill"
The Grasshopper Unit (Keep Movin') from "Hello Nasty"
Shake Your Rump from "Paul's Boutique"
Professor Booty from "Check Your Head"


Distance 5.11 miles
Cumulative 9.11 miles
Time 41:52
Pace 8:11 min/mi

No comments: