Fray-ends, I am here today, to bear witness to the perils of one of the seven deadly sins. A subject which few of you, and few there are, will be amazed or astonished when I reveal that of which I bespeak. For it is that very sin which I myself have railed against for so many blog postings.
It is perhaps the most difficult of the seven deadly sins to resist, because all you have to do to commit this sin is...
Nothing. Let's face it: greed, lust, envy, vanity, you have to at least think to commit them. Even gluttony requires effort and means. Rage burns calories! But the one that remains, is certainly the most insidious of all because it's commission is by almost complete omission.
SLOTH.
Yeah, brothers and sisters. I am here today to tell you of the terrible dangers of sloth and indigence, and how the wages of sin were compounded upon me today.
I've been trying to keep my feet on the path, friends. One foot in front of the other, pace after pace, mile after mile, every other day so help me.
But I've been slipping. I told myself I would return to the path yesterday morning after I awoke. And lo, I did not. I told myself I would go last evening, but a mighty storm blew over me and told me that the time was not right, that I should go in the next morning.
And as it was Saturday, and I did not have to arise at an early hour, I did lay in my bed. I told myself I should arise and go forth! And I did not. I said "Get yon lazy duff off of thy comfy bed and begone, and with thee take the demon Sloth with you!" And I did not. I even told myself, "You have failed. The jogging experiment is over and sloth has WON". Albeit briefly.
Until the sun was high in the sky, and my sloth began to doze off and I leapt from the bed and threw off the covers (not in that order) and donned my raiment of jogging! My tune-o-matic did sparkle in the sunshine as I bade it to record the time of cardiovascular acceleration!
And I thought "Where are my jogging brethren and sistren?" and I thought "It's not really all that hot. And there are plenty of shady spots along the path". But lo these shady spots are the shady spots of the rising and setting sun! Not of the Noontide! And there was little shade for my weary frame. And lo I did probably get a little sunburned.
But did I falter? NO! Did I relent? NO! Did I wish I had stayed in that cozy bed all day long? uh... I mean NO NO and NO, friends! And I did perservere! And complete the loop! And did slake my thirst with cool water with orange slices in it! And I did cleanse myself of the honest sweat that I should have sweated yesterday or earlier this morning!
Can I get an AMEN?
And now, the selection of hymns from the Tune-O-Matic Hymnal, an all African mix. Only a few songs, but these songs are long.
Cantique -Kanda Bongo Man
Heavy Heavy Heavy -Geraldo Pino
Qhude Manikiniki -Umahlathini Nabo
Thul'ulalele -Amaswazi Emvelo
Okuzua -Orchestra Lissanga
Time out: 34:32. Here endeth the lesson.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment