I've been a very very naughty boy. I've taken almost two weeks off. I didn't run in the half-marathon. I've been a lump. Why? The irony of the matter is because I got bad news that should have inspired me to run more often: my cholesterol is through the roof. For some reason, this news glued my butt to my chair when I should have been running. Given that my family has a history of heart disease, I shouldn't be too surprised. Fortunately, there are meds that can help mitigate the problems of high cholesterol in the form of statins, which I am now taking. And exercising is one factor that can reduce the likelihood of heart disease developing down the line. I guess I thought the running beforehand would have helped keep the numbers down. I should have learned from Jim Fixx.
The last time my cholesterol was checked was when I lived in California, and ate a lot better. More vegetarian meals, fewer chicken fingers, less barbecue. My physician there suggested that one of my numbers was off, and I should be careful. Now, 4 of 5 of my numbers are high. So I'm trying to change my diet; no more bbq, less fat and beer, more oatmeal, whole grains (brown rice), fish oil, fruits and vegetables. My wife thinks I should try a few months with just the dietary approach, but the efficacy of statins is well documented, with few adverse effects (although I'm on the lookout for the myalgia).
So today, I thought I'd only start out small, up to Woodfield/Gay and back. Baby steps, there will be other half marathons, hopefully someday a full marathon.
Playlist
Flaming heart -Meat Puppets
She Don't use Jelly -Flaming Lips
Let's Spend the Night Together -The Rolling Stones
No One To Depend On -Santana
On verra ca -Orchestra Baobab
Time
There 12:38
Back 12:43
Total 25:20. Pretty fast for this route, considering my hiatus.
Wednesday, January 20, 2010
Naughty, naughty me.
Labels:
Flaming Lips,
jog,
meat puppets,
orchestra baobab,
playlist,
rolling stones,
santana,
SLOTH,
true confessions,
woodfield
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment