Thursday, February 4, 2010

Afreakin'

Saturday, 6 February, is the annual Love Your Heart Run, sponsored by AORTA (which I'm thinking of joining, but haven't yet). I'm planning on running in the 10K. So I wanted to go on a long run sometime this week (other than the 10K, which for me is a long run), but didn't get out that long on Monday or Tuesday. So I thought I'd go today. Now, when I ran track back in high school (I was a sprinter), we'd always take an easy day before a meet, so I thought that's what I'd do. I went out to the Shel Toomer Bike Path, which I reclocked with a digital odometer, and it came out to 3.2 miles each way, so it's actually a bit longer than I thought. I made a conscious decision to take it slowly, which I haven't really done in a while, though it was my original plan. It actually felt amazingly good, which surprised me. On the way back, I tried to speed up on the uphills, just for a bit of a challenge. An all-African playlist today.

Playlist
Shakalaode -Wganda Kenya (actually a Fela cover)
Heavy Heavy Heavy -Geraldo Pino
Beaux Dimanches -Amadou and Miriam
Gazera -Moussa Poussy
Jiin Ma Jiin Ma -Orchestra Baobab
Sai -Kanda Bongo Man
Qhude Manikiniki -Umahlathini Nabo
River Luv Rite -Oneness of Juju
Mondo Soul Funky -Ebo Taylor Jr. and Wuta Wazuri
Kovita Gbe De Towe -Antoine Dougbe
Marie Jose -Ryco Jazz

Times
L1 9:03
L2 7:36
L3 15:25
L4 15:45
L5 8:11
L6 8:30
Total 1:04:40. So, I wasn't going for speed, but I did want to make sure the last split was better than the first, to make sure I wasn't getting too fatigued. Also, I'm feeling good. And my time wasn't that far off from previous runs.

No comments: