Today all of Major League Baseball will be wearing #42, which besides being the answer to life, the universe and everything, was also the number worn by Jackie Robinson. Mr. Robinson was the first openly African-American player to play in the Majors. He was born in Cairo, Georgia, on January 31, 1919, though he spent most of his youth in California. Though he did play in the Negro Leagues, it was when he started playing for the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1947 that his star began to rise.
He was the first "Rookie of the Year" in 1947, was the Most Valuable Player in 1949, and won a World Series Ring with the Dodgers in 1955.
In honor of this, I put together a Jackie Robinson playlist.
Ran the UDMGAG route with a slight variation, at Toomer's I turned right to cross College, as I arrived just in time for the light to change and I didn't feel up to a long stop. I got a new pair of running shorts, which suited me nicely. I may have to get another pair while they're still on sale.
Playlist
Dirty Water -The Standells (yes, the Sox won yesterday, and they're on now!)
The Song Remains the Same -Led Zeppelin (not really in the theme, but I wanted to hear it)
Give It Up or Turn It Loose -James Brown
Equal Rights -Peter Tosh
One Nation Under A Groove -Funkadelic
Jeepster -T. Rex
Bruca Manigua -Ibrahim Ferrer
Banned in D.C. -Bad Brains
Lady Luck -Billy Eckstine
You Can't Catch Me -Chuck Berry
April in Paris -Count Basie and his Orchestra
Manteca -Dizzy Gillespie
The Jack-Ass Song -Harry Belafonte
I Refuse to Lose -James Brown
Quizas, Quizas, Quizas -Nat "King" Cole
Rosa Parks -Outkast
What'd I Say -Ray Charles
Times
L1 11:34
L2 5:35
L3 11:01
L4 4:26
L5 7:21 (these two splits, I'm not exactly sure where they start/stop)
L6 5:22
L7 11:35
Total 59:54
Distance 6.7 miles
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment